Wok Flashed Salt and Pepper Shrimp with Lemon Basmati Rice4 servings
- 1 1/2 pounds large shrimps (U 15), deveined, shell on
- 1/2 tablespoon ground black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon ground white peppercorns
- 1/2 teaspoon ground szechuan peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon fleur de sel
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 4 stalks fine chopped scallions, green part only. Save white part for rice.
- 1/4 cup canola oil
LEMON BASMATI RICE:
- White scallions from above
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cups basmati rice, washed until water is clear
- 2 large slices of ginger
- Zest of 2 lemons
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of white peppercorn
- 2 1/2 cups chicken stock, can substitute water
Soak shrimp in salty cold water for 20 minutes and rinse thoroughly. In a large bowl, mix peppercorns, salt and cornstarch. Dredge shrimp in mixture.
In a very hot wok, add oil and fry the shrimp quickly. Add the scallions. Cook until shrimp are pink, only 3 to 5 minutes.
LEMON BASMATI RICE
In a saucepan, saute scallions and zest in oil. Add rice and ginger and sauee for 3 minutes. Add zest, juice, salt, pepper and chicken stock, cover and bring to boil. Turn down and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes. Pull off of heat and let stand for another 25 minutes with cover still on.
EAST MEETS WEST with Ming Tsai From the TV FOOD NETWORK