La Kama is a Moroccan spice mixture that is very popular in Tangier. It is altogether simpler than the complex ras el hanout and features a modest five spices. Use it to flavour soups and stews or as a rub with chicken or lamb.
Recipe for La Kama
- 2.5 cm (1 inch) cinnamon stick
- 2 teaspoons black peppercorns
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Dry-fry or roast the cinnamon and peppercorns in a heavy grying pan over medium heat to release their flavour. Grind the roasted spices to a powder and mix with the ginger, turmeric and nutmeg. Use at once or store in an airtight jar, away from heat or light.