Za'atarPrep Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 10 minutes
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 2 teaspoons basil
- 2 tablespoons ground thyme
- 1 teaspoon whole thyme
- 2 teaspoons savory
- 2 teaspoons ground marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoons whole dry marjoram
- 1-2 tablespoons ground sumac berries
- 1/4-1/2 cup unhulled, toasted sesame seeds, ground coarsely
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt (or to taste)
- 1 tablespoon dried ground lemon peel or zest of two lemons, very finely minced
Ideally, this is a little coarse. First grind the sesame seeds then crush everything together with a pestle. While it is fresh, dampen a few tablespoons with olive oil, and add some hummus or crushed chickpeas. Spread on pita or flatbread, and bake or broil until heated through.
Green za'atar variation: Omit sumac and replace with ground and whole thyme or marjoram, fenugreek leaf (exotic flavor) or dried parsley.