Tarka DhalPrep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 1/2 cup masoor dhal (split red lentils)
- 1/4 cup moong dhal (small split yellow lentils)
- 2 1/2 cups of water
- 1 tsp ginger pulp
- 1 tsp garlic pulp
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 2 fresh green chillies, chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1/4 tsp mixed mustard and onion seeds
- 4 dried red chiles
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- 1-2 fresh green chillies, seeded and sliced
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh mint
Pick over the lentils for any stones before washing them.
Boil the lentils in the water with the ginger, garlic, turmeric and chopped green chillies for 15-20 minutes or until soft.
Mash the lentil mixture down. The consistency of the mashed lentils should be similar to a creamy chicken soup.
If the mixture looks too dry, add more water. Season with the salt.
To prepare the tarka, heat the oil and fry the onion with the mustard and onion seeds, dried red chillies and sliced tomato for 2 minutes.
Pour the tarka over the dhal and garnish with fresh cilantro, green chillies and mint.