Spicy Indian Orzo
Serve this pilaf-like dish with mango chutney and cold yogurt.Prep Time: 8 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 23 minutes
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 pound lean ground lamb
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons minced ginger
- 1 jalapeño chili with seeds, chopped
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 1 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 8 ounces orzo pasta
- 2 cups canned beef broth
- 1 cup chopped seeded ripe tomato
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Heat oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add lamb and sauté until cooked through, breaking up with back of spoon, about 5 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer lamb to bowl.
Reduce heat to medium. Add garlic, ginger and chili to same skillet and sauté 2 minutes. Add cardamom, curry powder and orzo and stir to 1 minute. Add broth and bring mixture to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and cook until orzo is tender and most of broth is absorbed, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking on bottom of skillet, about 15 minutes. Return lamb to skillet and mix in. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Mound pilaf on large platter. Garnish with tomato and cilantro and serve.