Okra, Onion and Tomato Stew with Aleppo PepperPrep Time: 22 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 42 minutes
- 1/4 cup olive oil, plus 2 tablespoons
- 1 pound okra, tops and tails trimmed
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 1/2 cups onion, julienned
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon Greek oregano (dry)
- 1/4 teaspoon Aleppo pepper
- 2 cups canned whole tomatoes (crushed with juice)
- 1 cup Herb Tea
- 1/8 cup Kalamata olives, sliced
- 1/8 cup parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
In a large saucepan heat 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add 1/2 the okra and saute until lightly seared, about 2 to 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Reserve.
Reheat pan, add 1 tablespoon olive oil and repeat with remaining okra. Reserve. In a heavy gauge saucepan heat remaining 1/4 cup olive oil and add onions. Season with a pinch of salt and cook until soft and translucent, about 8 to 10 minutes. Stir in garlic.
Turn heat to medium and cook onions until lightly caramelized, about 2 more minutes.
Add dry oregano and Aleppo, stir and cook for 1 minute.
Add tomatoes, lower heat and cook for 5 to 6 minutes. Add seared okra and stir to combine.
Add Herb Tea. Simmer on low heat for 15 to 20 minutes. When okra is slightly tender, fold in olives, parsley and olive oil. Adjust seasoning and serve.
Recipe courtesy of Jim Botsacos, Molyvos, New York, NY