Grilled Pepper and Tomato Salad
ChakchükaCook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 4 medium-sized green bell peppers
- 2 x 28 ounce (550 ml) cans plum tomatoes, drained, seeded and diced
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons
- Aleppo pepper
- sea salt
- 1 preserved lemon, peel only, cut into strips
- 3/4 cup fresh flat leaf parsley, minced
Grill the peppers over a charcoal fire, or cook under the broiler for 10 - 15 minutes, until the skin is charred and blistered on all sides. Leave until cool enough to handle, then peel them and remove the seeds and core. Cut the flesh into small strips.
Combine the tomatoes, olive oil and garlic in a large frying pan and cook for 15 - 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes have reduced and almost all excess liquid has evaporated.
Add the grilled peppers, preserved lemon peel parsley and the rest of the Aleppo pepper to the tomato sauce. Cook for a further 5 - 10 minutes, or until the sauce has become very concentrated. Remove from the heat and leave to cool. Serve at room temperature.