Ensalada de Nopalitos
Green Beans or chayote can be substituted if cactus is not available.Prep Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 3 cups cooked nopalitos
- 3 tbsp chopped white onion
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/2 tsp dried Mexican oregano
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice or vinegar
- 3 tomatoes, sliced
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/3 cup crumbled queso fresco or añejo or monterey jack cheese
- 1/3 cup purple onion rings
- 3 canned chiles jalapeños en escabeche, cut into quarters lengthwise
- 1 avocado, peeled and sliced (optional)
- romaine lettuce for the side of the serving platter
Mix the nopalitos with the next four ingredients and set aside to season for 30 minutes. Stir well and adjust seasoning.
Spread the nopalitos over the platter about 1 1/2 inches deep. Decorate with the tomatoes slices and top with cilantro, cheese, onion rings, chile strips, and slices of avocado (if used).
Overlap the romaine leaves around the edges of the platter and serve at room temperature.