Chicken, Ham and Oyster GumboCook Time: 1 hours 35 minutes
Total Time: 1 hours 35 minutes
Fat: 13 g
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 green bell peppers, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups sliced fresh okra
- 2 cups water
- 3 pounds chicken, boned and cut into large chunks
- 1 pound boneless smoked ham, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon Original TABASCO Pepper Sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 pint shucked oysters and their liquid
- 3 cups hot cooked rice
Heat oil in a 5-quart Dutch oven or saucepan over medium heat. Add flour and cook about 30 minutes, stirring constantly, until roux turns dark brown and develops a nutty aroma. Add green peppers, celery, onion and garlic; cook 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
Add tomatoes, okra, water, chicken, ham, parsley, TABASCO® Sauce, salt and bay leaf. Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce heat to medium, and simmer uncovered for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Stir in oysters and simmer 10 minutes longer. Discard bay leaf. Serve over rice.
Nutritional information per serving: 404 calories, 36g protein, 35g carbohydrate, 13g fat, 113mg cholesterol, 1207mg sodium