Aleppo Style Marinated and Fried Catfish
This well-spiced fish is usually served with a cold salad of boiled cubed potatoes mixed with plenty of chopped parsley and scallions, seasoned with a dash of Aleppo pepper and ground cumin, and dressed with plenty of lemon juice and olive oil.Prep Time: 1 hours 5 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 1 hours 20 minutes
- 1 Thick fillet farmed catfish (about 1 pound)
- 1 tbs grated onion
- 1 tsp near east or Aleppo pepper
- 1/2 tsp crushed garlic
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp sea salt
- grated peel of 1/2 orange
- 1/4 tsp Syrian mixed spices
- 1/2 tbs strained fresh lemon juice
- flour for dusting and olive oil for frying
Divide the catfish fillet into 3 serving pieces. Combine the spices and other ingredients for the marinade and let soak about 1 hour.
Heat enough oil to the depth of 1 inch in a frying pan. Drain the fish, wipe dry with paper toweling, and dust lightly with flour. Fry in the hot oil until cooked and dark brown on both sides. Serve hot or cold with a parsley-rich potato salad.