Introduction to Kratom Tea:
We are well aware of black, white, green, and herbal teas, and it’s time to spill the tea on Kratom Tea. Did I just coincidentally write a tongue twister? No worries! Let’s move on to the Kratom tea. Extracting the tea from the leaves of various plants is a common practice. Kratom tea, as the name refers, is obtained by boiling Kratom leaves in water. Mitragyna speciosa, commonly known as “Kratom,” is a tropical plant that belongs to the Coffee family. It is being used as an herbal product since the 1800s because of its opioid-like characteristics. It also acts as a stimulant. Now, it is popular in the West for both recreational and therapeutic purposes.
While its popularity has made many people buy Kratom online and off the internet world, there is still a lot of controversy regarding its safety. This debate gained strength when many positive and negative cases of Kratom use were reported. However, all the arguments are supported by researches and pieces of evidence.
In this article, we will discuss whether it is safe to use Kratom tea or not. We’ll see if the health benefits of Kratom are worth exposing ourselves to the risk or not. So, without making any further delay, let’s move ahead.
Health Benefits of Kratom:
Scientists are conducting many pieces of research on the effects of Kratom. Hundreds of studies are put forward every day to clear the air. As we have discussed earlier, it has stimulant and opioid-like effects. Furthermore, it is psychoactive and sedative too. It acts to resolve several health issues that are listed below:
- The effects of Kratom, and hence the Kratom tea, are significant in helping people get rid of fatigue and muscle spasms.
- Kratom controls the release of the pro-inflammatory mediator. This feature helps one in boosting his immunity, quick tissue repair, and healing process.
- Hypertension is the most prevalent issue of older people all around the world. Nowadays, even youngsters are the victim of this disease. The effects of Kratom as antihypertension have been observed.
- It has done wonders for people experiencing diabetes, leukemia, diarrhea, and anorexia.
- The pain-killing capabilities of Kratom tea are exceptional. Recent studies have shown that Kratom tea and other Kratom-based products might replace pain-killers in the near future.
- Kratom has also helped people get rid of cough and depressions, improve sexual performance, and boost energy levels.
Don’t rush to buy Kratom after reading these compelling health benefits. We yet have to see the other side of the picture.
Side Effects of Kratom:
People counter-attacking the use of Kratom accuse it of causing a lot of health problems. Some studies highlight its fatal nature too. The extensively studied and listed side effects of Kratom are as follows:
- Kratom is known for causing severe dehydration in Kratom users.
- Various cases of constipation in Kratom users have been reported.
- While advocates claim the beneficial effects of Kratom on mental health, some studies show the opposite picture. These studies show a higher incidence of depression, anxiety, and suicidal thoughts in Kratom users.
- Besides the common mental health issues, it is also said to cause seizures, hallucinations, and psychosis.
- Loss of appetite, increased urination, nausea, and other gastrointestinal problems are also being related to the use of Kratom.
Like any other opioid-based product, Kratom also causes addiction. So, stopping the use of Kratom might cause physical withdrawal symptoms seen in people who have been taking Kratom regularly. The oft-quoted withdrawal symptoms are:
- Emotional changes.
- Runny nose.
- Uncontrolled Jerky movements.
- Muscle aches.
- Dry mouth.
- Nausea and vomiting.
Intake of exceptionally high doses of Kratom can cause liver damage, breathing issues, seizures, and even death.
Now when it doesn’t seem worthy enough to risk your life for, there are a few facts that I should state to draw a conclusion.
Dosage consideration and Special Precautions:
The old sayings like “Excess of everything is bad” demands us to consider balance in all aspects of life. So is the case with the dosage of Kratom. It would be best if you kept in mind that while the moderate intake of Kratom has elicited all the positive health effects on people, the high doses have even caused death.
There is no specified safety dosage of Kratom. It depends on the age, needs, and health conditions of the user. You should be aware that even natural products are composed of “chemical” compounds. So, you must not take them without a prescription or proper care.
The concentration of Kratom in the Kratom tea and other products must be considered to evaluate proper dosage.
Pregnant and breast-feeding mothers should avoid the use of Kratom as a safety measure. Moreover, alcohol-dependent people should not consume Kratom since it might result in suicidal thoughts. The same effects are seen in people who used Kratom while already having worse mental health.
Effects of Other Compounds:
A mind-blowing study was conducted in 2019. It was based on the deaths caused by Kratom. National Poison Data System had a record of 11 deaths caused by the use of Kratom from 2011 to 2017. Researchers found out that out of these 11 deaths, nine deaths were possibly caused by using some other substance with Kratom. The drugs and substances that interacted with Kratom to cause those nine deaths included alcohol, benzodiazepines, caffeine, cocaine, and fentanyl. Forty-four more Kratom-based deaths were reported in 2017, and the use of pure Kratom caused only one out of them. Hence, we should always check the ingredients on Kratom-based dietary products’ packaging to ensure our safety.
Now we have over-viewed the side effects, risk factors, and health benefits of Kratom, along with the possible causes of its adverse effects. It is quite clear that it’s not the Kratom tea but more or less the lack of knowledge about its use that’s the culprit.
We should always consider the safe dosage, substance interactions, and health condition before taking Kratom to enjoy the unaffected perks of the product.