Ramps are a type of wild onion with a distinct garlic-like flavour. They are a favourite ingredient in many cuisines, especially in the Appalachian region of the United States. Here are a few recipes that use ramps:
1. Ramp Pesto: In a food processor, combine ramps, pine nuts, Parmesan cheese,olive oil, salt, and pepper. Pulse until smooth. Serve over pasta or as a dip for bread.
2. Ramp and Potato Soup: In a large pot, sauté chopped ramps and diced potatoes in butter until soft. Add chicken or vegetable broth and simmer until the potatoes are tender. Puree the soup until smooth, then stir in heavy cream and season with salt and pepper.
3. Ramp Carbonara: Cook spaghetti according to package directions. In a separate pan, sauté chopped ramps in butter. Whisk together eggs, grated Parmesan cheese, and black pepper. Drain the pasta and add it to the ramp mixture. Pour in the egg mixture and toss until the pasta is coated and the eggs are cooked.
4. Ramp and Goat Cheese Tart: Roll out a sheet of puff pastry and prick the surface with a fork. In a bowl, mix chopped ramps, crumbled goat cheese, and heavy cream. Spread the mixture over the pastry, leaving a border around the edges. Bake at 375°F until the pastry is golden brown and the filling is bubbly.
5. Grilled Ramps: Brush ramps with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Grill over medium heat until tender and lightly charred. Serve as a side dish or chop and add to salads, omelets, or sandwiches.