Thai Hot and Sour Prawn Soup4 servings
- 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp. dried chile flakes
- 1/2 tsp. chili paste
- 1 tsp powdered galangal
- 1 stalk fresh or 1 tsp powdered lemongrass
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup water
- 2 kaffir lime leaves
- 2 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 2 tbsp. fish sauce
- 4 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 lbs raw prawns, shelled and deviened
- 5 basil leaves, chopped
- 5 sprigs cilantro, chopped
- 1 green onion, cut into 1” pieces
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
Heat oil over medium heat. Add garlic chile flakes and chili paste, stirring until fragrant, about 1-2 minutes.
Add galangal and lemon grass, stir for another minute.
Add the chicken stock and water, and simmer for about 20 minutes.
Bring soup to a boil and add the kaffir lime leaves, tomatoes, fish sauce, sugar and mushrooms. Add the prawns, and cook just until they turn pink, about two minutes (the prawns continue cooking in the hot broth). Remove from heat.