Harissa is a chile-based condiment used in Moroccan, Tunisian and Algerian cooking, where it is usually served as a side dish to dip meats into. Add Harissa Spice Blend to olive oil and chopped garlic to create this classic condiment. Or
• Create a bold, spicy rub for roasted and grilled meats
• Use to flavor soups, stews, salads, couscous, vegetables and egg dishes
• Create a spicy, refreshing dip for fresh vegetables by combining our Harissa Spice Blend with tangy yogurt
• Try in place of mustard on sandwiches
• Add a pinch to vinaigrettes, dressings and sauces
• Use to season steaks, chops, burgers, chicken, prawns or shrimp, fish, or vegetables before grilling
• Add a spoonful to cottage cheese
• Sweat minced shallots in butter, add wine or sherry, reduce, remove from heat and whisk in butter and harissa powder to make a luxurious Harissa Beurre Blanc
• Toss whole blanched almonds in olive oil, salt and harissa, blend and toast in the oven
• Add to vegetables at the start of cooking
• Whip softened butter with harissa blend, add chopped cilantro to make a compound butter for steak or fish
A recipe to try:
Harissa Roasted Sweet Potato Wedges
Our Harissa Spice Blend infuses these crispy baked sweet potatoes with the spicy flavor of chiles and a complex array of savory spices. The combination of sweet and spicy makes this dish an addictive side option for everything from burgers to grilled chicken.
Prep time: 5 min
Cook time: 40 min
Total time: 45 min
Makes 6 servings
2 Tablespoons The Epicentre’s Harissa spice blend
1 Teaspoon ground cumin
1 Teaspoon sea salt
3 Medium Sweet Potatoes, scrubbed and cut into 1/2-inch-thick wedges
2 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil
1 Tablespoon Fresh Cilantro, chopped
Preheat oven to 400°F, and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
Stir together Harissa Spice Blend, cumin and sea salt in small bowl.
Toss sweet potato wedges with oil in large mixing bowl until well-coated. Sprinkle spice mixture lightly over wedges, while tossing, to thoroughly coat.
Transfer wedges to prepared baking sheets, and bake 35 to 40 minutes, until potatoes are tender and crispy at edges, tossing once halfway through cooking.
Sprinkle with chopped fresh cilantro. Serve hot
Photo by congerdesign