To prepare dried peppers, first wipe them clean and then toast them in a dry cast iron skillet over high heat until they soften and plump up slightly. Remove seeds and ribs.Prep Time: 35 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
- 6 corn tortillas, cut into pieces
- 2 dried pasilla peppers, toasted and chopped
- 4 medium tomatoes, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium potato, peeled and diced
- 5 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 tsp dried epazote (2 tbsp fresh)
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (optional)
Preheat oven to 350° and lightly pan spray a baking sheet. Spread tortilla squares over prepared sheet and toast for 20 minutes, or until no longer pliable.
In a blender or food processor, puree peppers, half of the tomatoes, garlic, and 1/2 cup of vegetable stock.
In a heavy soup pot, cook onions in a 1/4 cup of vegetable stock over medium high for 5 minutes, or until soft. Add pepper mixture, potatoes, remaining stock, and epazote. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 10 minutes.
Stir in tortilla pieces and serve with cheese.