The Chicken that Flew (Morocco)
A Moroccan stew of chick peas, onion and sweet potato. The chicken is conspicuously absent.Cook Time: 50 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
- 1 19 oz (540 ml) can chickpeas, drained
- pinch of saffron, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon kebsa spices
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into small chunks
- 1 medium-sized onion, thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup fresh cilantro, minced
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt
- black pepper
Drain chickpeas and put in a sauce pan. Add the crushed saffron and 1 quart of water. Bring to a boil of high heat, then cover and leave to boil for 35 minutes or until the chick peas are quite tender.
Add the sweet potato, onion, cilantro, oil, kebsa spices, salt and pepper and cook, covered for a further 10 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are tender and the water has evaporated. if the sauce is still runny, increase the heat to high and boil uncovered until reduced. Serve hot, warm or at room temperature.