Kuwaiti Chicken with Loomi and Baharat
Quwarmah Ala DajajPrep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hours 50 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours 15 minutes
- 3 lbs chicken, skinned and jointed (or use chicken breasts and cook for less time)
- 1 3/4 teaspoons baharat mixed spice
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 cup olive oil (or ghee)
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1 stick cinnamon bark
- 1 cup tomato sauce (I use canned pureed tomatoes)
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 dried limes (loomi, or 1 1/2 tsp ground loomi))
- 1 cup frozen okra (optional)
Rinse and wipe chicken pieces dry and sprinkle with salt.
Heat olive oil and brown chicken pieces on each side. Remove to plate.
Add onion and fry gently until transparent.
Add chicken pieces and okra if using, reduce heat to low and simmer very gently for 1 1/2 hours until chicken is tender and sauce is thick.
Serve with basmati rice and salad.