Braised Chicken In Potato Mold
Le Poulet avec le Potat
The chicken can be cooked well in advance and the dish finalised by preparing the potatoes and baking the assembled dish in the oven.Prep Time: 11 minutes
Cook Time: 12 minutes
Total Time: 23 minutes
- 1 chicken, about 3lb cut in pieces and deboned
- oil for deep frying
- 12 fresh shiitake mushrooms, quartered
- 10 button mushrooms, halved
- 2 1/2 in ginger, sliced
- 1 1/12 lb large potatoes peeled and thinly sliced lenghtwise
- 1 tablespoon butter
- [a]3 tbsp[/a] [i]soy sauce[/i]
- [a]2 tbsp[/a] [i]oyster sauce[/i]
- [a]1[/a] [i]egg[/i], lightly beaten
- salt and pepper to taste
- [a]1 tbsp[/a] [i]oil[/i]
- [a]5[/a] cloves [i]garlic[/i], chopped
- [a]5 whole[/a] [i]star anise[/i]
- [a]1[/a] [i]cinnamon[/i] stick, about 4 cm ( 1 1/2″)
- [a]1 tbsp[/a] [i]five-spice powder[/i]
- [a]3 tbsp[/a] [i]oyster sauce[/i]
- [a]4 tbsp[/a] [i]Chinese wine[/i]
- [a]4 tbsp[/a] [i]soy sauce[/i]
- [a]1 tbsp[/a] [i]sesame oil[/i]
- [a]2 tsp[/a] [i]sugar[/i]
- [a]2 cups[/a] [i]chicken stock[/i]
- [a]2 tsp[/a] [i]cornflour[/i], mixed with 2 tbspwater
Combine the marinade ingredients, mix with the chicken and set aside to marinate for 10 minutes.
Pat the chicken dry and deep fry in very hot oil until half cooked.
Add the deep-fried chicken, both types of mushrooms and ginger. Stir fry for 3 minutes, then add remaining sauce ingredients except for cornflour. Simmer for about 2 minutes and season to taste, then add the blended cornflour. When the sauce thickens a little, remove from heat and set aside to cool.
Pan fry the thinly sliced potatoes with butter and oil until half cooked.
Line an oven-proof bowl with the half cooked potatoes, making sure they overlap. Fill with the cooked chicken mixture and cover with remaining potatoes.
Bake in a hot oven (200° C/400° F) for about 5-7 minutes. Unmould and serve hot.
from The Food of Singapore by
published by Periplus Editions ISBN 962-593-007-8